Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Experience:  Review contracts for major corporations
14472836

I live in Nevada, and work as a shift manager for a movie theatre

I live in Nevada, and work as a shift manager for a movie theatre company based in Utah. A while back, myself and a few other managers noticed that there was some embezzlement going on at the theatres: variances in the deposit at the end of the night would be set aside if the variance was over the target, and this was under the pretense that the money would be used on things the theatre needed. We went the the General Manager about it and asked that she put a stop to it, and she did. However, there has been a shift in management, and I suspect it is happening again. What should I do?
Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

If money is being embezzled you are witnessing a crime in progress. As a manger you have a responsibility to assure this is not going on during you shift. You should report what you see to your supervisor, and the supervisor's supervisor. If you have a personnel department you may wish to let them know about what is happening.

The problem with situations like this is when someone does get around to noticing the problem everyone gets a piece of the blame. The adage if your not part of the solution, you are part of the problem holds true in many situations such as the one you are in.

I suggest in your communication you do not characterize the activity. I noted in your question you state it was embezzlement. When you report this state the acts, let the reader draw conclusion. For example, instead of embezzlement,simply state "are you aware funds are being removed for unknown purposes ". You have raised the consciousness of the reader of a potential problem without making an accusation of illegal activity. It will be up to the reader to investigate.

Notarizing the document may be a bit overboard. Te notary here is acting as a witness. You can send your findings in an envelope marked personal & confidential to be opened only by xxxxx. Keep a copy for your files.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).