Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Is it legal for an organization in Georgia (zip - 30122)to

Is it legal for an organization in Georgia (zip - 30122)to pay a person for doing a lesser job, yet use them in a higher paying capacity? In my case, I was supervisor - yet being used as a department manager. They even made job offers, citing me as the manager.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do everything I can to answer your question.

I understand how frustrating it must be to get paid less than what you feel you should. Unforutnately, unless you can demonstrate a discriminatory motive (race, religion, gender, etc.) for being paid less than others performing the same work, your employer violates no law by paying you at a rate not commesurate with your responsibilities.

If, for example, you could prove that you are working as a department manager but being paid as a supervisor and you are the only woman being paid this lesser amount among the other department managers, that would suggest unlawful gender discrimination, which is actionable under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. If, however, there is no underlying discriminatory motive (meaning you can't prove you aret being singled out and paid less because of your race, religion, gender, etc.) there is nothing illegal about paying you less than the rate your work would typically command. Your optioins are to either accept the terms of your employment, attempt to negotiate something better, or find a new job that pays you more in accordance with the value of the services you provide.

I am truly sorry that I don't have more favorable information to provide you, but you are here for accurate information about the law and it would be a tremendous disservice if I were to mislead you for the sake of providing good news.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with followup question if you have any. I am not done assisting you until you are absolutely satisfied with my service.