Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

I was terminated from my part time job, today, from a private

I was terminated from my part time job, today, from a private contract cleaning company. I was called in 15 minutes before my shift started, and was fired for the following reasons:

1. Empty soap dispenser (there was a full one right next to it)
2. Starting my shift at 3:30 instead of 4:00 (I was told when I started, that I could start at 3:30)
3. Talking to clientele too long and too often. (I am guilty of this, but the work still got done)
4. Taking their food (I would never steal from no one, and I always asked.)

I was upset when I left their office, and I wanted to talk to their client to hear their side of the story. I was unaware of the employer, who followed me in my car. When I got out of my car, he threatened to have me arrested, if talk to his client. Shocked and scared, I drove away without a word. Was he allowed to do that? I've never caused any trouble of any kind, to no one. The clients were overall pleased to have me clean their building.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am genuinely sorry to hear that you are in this situation. Then answer I would need to provide you with is likely not favorable, so I ask that you do not blame the proverbial messenger. Ultimately if you were on private property, you can be told to leave and can be threatened with an arrest if you remained on the premises. Since you worked for a company who had a license and permission to clean inside the premises, once you were terminated (regardless on whether it was right or not), your right to the premises was likewise removed. The managers or owners could then follow you to make sure you left, and as the end client did not make an effort to speak with you, once you were terminated your right to speak with them at least at that location is likewise terminated. Please remember that you work for the company and not the client, so the company made the decision, and speaking with the client could have been taken as harassment instead. But his threat to you is not against the law, which is likely what you may have heard from other legal professionals at this point.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok. Thank you very much, for your legal help. I appreciate it, and will chalk this up as a learning experience.

Pamela,

Glad to help, truly. Sorry that your termination ended up being even more stressful than it had to have been. Good luck to you!