Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

I collected unemployment compensation in 2011 in Massachusetts. During

I collected unemployment compensation in 2011 in Massachusetts.
During that time a school asked me for advice regarding a project they were planning.
There was no contract and there would be no compensation in the project did not materialize. They also knew that, if I found a job, I would have to move on.
The work/ advice was given by by e-mail and phone and and was probably 2-3 hours , total during a week.
After 5-6 months, project did move forward and upon completion, I assisted in the pricing for one week and was paid.
I reported the compensation to to Mass Unemployment and did not claim for the week ,I was paid.
I met with a representative of Mass Unemployment , explained the situation and was given the OK, to resume benefits.
I also reported my earnings to Mass and the IRS for tax purposes.
Did I do anything wrong ?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward discussing this and providing you information in this regard

The law states that if you do any type of work while on UI benefits, you must report it and your claim is adjusted accordingly. Since you did not make a claim for the time that you were being paid you are fine and there should not be any type of legal issues

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just to be clear, when I received the check for my advice I reported it as working for that week and suspended my claim.

I did however give the school advice by phone in the weeks , prior to being paid, with the understanding that if there was no deal, there was no compensation.

in essence, when they called with a question about the financing, I responded by phone or e mail

If you were not paid for those calls, then there was no compensation and thus you are good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, not to nit pick but without some of my advice there probably would have not been a project, which would have meant I would not have been paid.

so when the project came to fruition, I submitted one bill for services rendered for payment. The major component was negotiating the price for the project with the bank that was providing the financing.

Just want to be sure ?

No problem

Let me see if I can be more clear.

During the time you were "consulting" you were not getting any wages. It was not until your consulting was complete and you got your wages which you reported to UI and you did not get a UI benefit for that week because you had wages that you told them about.