Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

I work as as an enrollment specialist at a college for the

I work as as an enrollment specialist at a college for the past 6 months. I have exceeded all expectations to this point and have been recognized for doing a very good job. A new boss came in a couple of months ago and I believe that he has done some very unethical things. I am judged by my "numbers" and those come from walk ins and lead and my boss has taken away my walk in's and leads. When I questioned the reason behind the leads and walk in's as it relates to doing my job, the retaliation began. I also reported a security guard that said very offensive sexual comments and now the boss and the president sent me an email that sounds like I'm going to be written up or fired tomorrow. I did go above their heads to question something that I had gone through the correct channels and did not get an answer. The president said that going above his head (in an email to me) was unacceptable and they will take action tomorrow.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Infolawyer :

Infolawyer :

there a couple of issues here

Infolawyer :

judging you based on numbers or other grounds is permitted and legal change

Infolawyer :

sexual harassment and discrimination is not, and any action against you or failure to act on complaint would be illegal and actionable against the offending person, the supervisor, and the employer under principal-agency theory

Infolawyer :

It may be escalated through local counsel and the eeoc in these situations

Infolawyer :

going above his head on such matters is not basis for taking any action against you!

Infolawyer :

Kindly let me know if the answer is clear and helpful, or if I may clarify anything

Infolawyer :

awaiting your reply

Customer:

The president of the college sent me an email yesterday that states that going above his head is unacceptable and he will take action. I am to meet with him at 9:00 tomorrow morning and frankly, I am afraid. I have never been written up or fired. I would be willing to pay more to have some legal advise as what I do in this meeting.

Infolawyer : I understand your concern. I would be a bit too it is natural.
Infolawyer : I think you want to change the focus of the meeting.
Infolawyer : Explain you need help and not looking to step on toes.
Infolawyer : This way his pride is protected and sees there is a problem for you to solve together and not a problem between you.
Infolawyer : That is the suggested approach!
Infolawyer : I wish you the best.
Infolawyer : Is the answer clear and helpful?
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.