Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.

I work for a Home Health agency and drive my own car. I get

I work for a Home Health agency and drive my own car. I get paid an allotted monetary amount per visit and taxes are taken out of my check. I receive an allotted amount of $1.27 per visit for my gas allowance. Is it an IRS policy to pay by the mile?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns

. To answer directly, IRS policy permits for an 'either/or' approach. An employer may either give you a formal allowance for travel on their behalf, or permit you to write off based on a set amount of miles. The option here is yours based on taxes, but the employer is not required to compensate you at the IRS limit--they can either offer you more or less based on your own internal agreement with the employer.

Hope that clarifies.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you very much.

You are most welcome and glad to help! If you found my information to be useful, kindly do not forget to positively rate my answers to you so I can obtain credit for my work. Thank you!