Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

Can I qualify for unemployment benefits although I do not live

Can I qualify for unemployment benefits although I do not live in the state where I have been employed? I live in Florida and I was told that I cannot qalify for unemployment since I did not had any income in Florida. I was employed in Oklahoma for many years and I know I paid for unemployment. In order to get the unemployment do I have to file in Oklahoma although I do not reside there?

Ray :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer.I am Ray and I will be the expert assisting you tonight.

Ray :

Here if you have wages on file from working on Oklahoma and have relocated you can file in Florida.The fact that your prior employment was out of state will not make you ineligible.As long as the wages here were earned you can file for UI benefits.

Ray :

Here is reference including the web site to file.

Ray :

You can do this online.

Ray :

The wages do not have to earned in Florida here to qualify you for UI benefits.

Customer:

I am not sure I understand : As long as the wages here were earned you can file for UI benefits.

Ray :

You must have worked and earned wages during the first four of the last five calendar quarters (beginning in January, April, July and October). These five quarters are known as the “base period.” During that time period, you must:

• Have been paid wages in two or more calendar quarters

• Have total wages during the base period of at least 150% of the wages during the highest quarter in the base period

• Have earned at least $3,400 during the base period

Ray :

They can have been earned in another state.It is not a requirement they have been earned in Florida.If they were earned in Oklahoma these will count.They look at W-2 wages earned anywhere in the US.

Ray :

Your employment in Oklahoma and wages may qualify you for UI benefits if you are otherwise eligible.

Ray :

You would want to file as soon as possible to obtain the benefits here.

Ray :

More about filing here.

Ray :

I wish you good luck with benefits and seeking new employment.

Ray :

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.

Customer:

It has been 4 years since I move to Florida. I am not sure I might be out of the bas period.

Ray :

Well the best way to find out here is to apply online.

Ray :

And see if they award you benefits.But out of state wages count the same as in state ones.

Ray :

This is what you need to file online.

Ray :

• Social Security number

• Names, addresses, and phone numbers for each of your employers during the last 18 months

• Dates worked and total wages from each employer during the last 18 months

• Gross earnings (pre-tax wages) for the current week since 12:01 AM Sunday, your first week being claimed for unemployment

• ID - either a driver's license, state identification, voter registration number, or any other type of ID that can be used to verify your identity

• If a member of a labor union, the name and local number of your labor union hall

• If you are not a U.S. citizen, your Alien Registration Number and work permit expiration date

• If you were in the military within the last two years, your DD-214 form

• If you were a federal employee, your Form SF-50 or Form SF-8 and check stubs or W2 proof of earnings

• To have your benefits directly deposited into your bank account, a check or deposit slip

Ray :

Thanks again and good luck with all.

Ray :

More about the process...

Ray :

The process should take approximately 30-60 minutes to complete, and must be completed within 72 hours of beginning, or you will have to restart the process.

Submit your claim: https://www2.myflorida.com/fluid/

If you need assistance filing your claim or need access to a computer, visit your nearest One-Stop Career Center. Find your nearest One-Stop Career Center: http://www.floridajobs.org/onestop/onestopdir/OneStopDirList.asp

Once your claim is filed, you will receive a confirmation notice that your claim has been received. If your claim is accepted, it will take three to four weeks to receive your first payment. The first week-the week you filed your claim-is a "waiting week" during which no benefits are paid.

If you do not receive a confirmation notice, call the Claims Assistance Center toll free at 1-800-204-2418.

Ray :

Thanks for the chance to help here.I hope you can get benefits.

Ray :

If you can leave a positive rating it is always appreciated.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Ray" .

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.