Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

Asked to leave a work department based on some untrue statements.

Asked to leave a work department based on some untrue statements. I am nurse. No formal write up.

In order to assist you I will need to know what your specific legal question is. Also, I need to know what State you work in, whether you are in a union, and why you were asked to leave work. Finally, if the statements are untrue, do you know why someone would make untrue statements about you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I want to know how to protect myself and reputation. How do I defend myself from this being in my permanent record. I did not receive a formal write up. State of MDThis is a homogenized work environment
Hello again and thank you for your reply. However, I still need the answers to the questions I asked. There a few that you didn't answer. They are: whether you are in a union, and why you were asked to leave work. Finally, if the statements are untrue, do you know why someone would make untrue statements about you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No Union.
Felt that I was not suited for that department, my co-workers did not feel they could trust working with me.
Suspect attitude towards my race, but cannot say for sure. Also, I complained that I was given several trainers in the department. I felt my training was inadequate.
Hello again and thank you for that information. First step is if your employer has a mechanism in place for you to appeal this decision or to rebut anything that might be put into your personnel file. Then, if you believe that this decision was made because of your race, you should file a formal complaint of discrimination with your employer's HR Department. If they cannot, or do not, resolve the issue, then you can file a discrimination complaint with the Maryland Commission on Human Relations and the EEOC.

Otherwise, there might be an issue of defamation of character that you would want to speak to a local trial/litigation attorney. If there were false statements of fact made about you to a third party (not you), and the statements damaged your reputation (which obviously they did), then you would likely have a cause of action against the person or people who made them.

Please let me know if you have follow up questions. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.