Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.

I worked for a firm in NYC whos policy was to submit reimbursable

I worked for a firm in NYC who's policy was to submit reimbursable expenses at the end of each month. The job required extensive national travel. Typically the expenses are paid within a week or two at the most. However, I gave my 2 weeks termination notice - my last day was Sept 30 - and submitted my expenses for the month of September. To date, I have not received my over $6k in expenses and they are not returning my calls or answering emails. What can I do?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

In this situation you can potentially pursue a cause of action against the employer via small claims court on the basis of 'breach of contract' and for 'replevin' (for return of personal property that belongs to you). Before you file, and to hopefully void the stress, headaches, and the length of time it may go through the courts, you may want to consider sending them a certified letter giving them a deadline to pay or you will pursue actions that yo are afforded to under the law. This certified letter also provides you with proof of notice (that they were aware), and creates a formal accounting as well for the debt owed. Typically such a letter is far more likely to generate a response which will hopefully keep you from needing to escalate this further.

Good luck.