How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5486
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are salaried non-exempt employees required to have a day off

This answer was rated:

Are salaried non-exempt employees required to have a day off during a 7-day period?
Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

Nevada unfortunately does not have any mandatory vacation or "one day off in seven" law that would require time off; unlike some other states that do have such a requirement. A correctly classified salaried employee can be required to work every day without extra compensation.

I question whether your son is correctly classified as salaried . Generally, to meet this qualification the "manager" has to have clear authority over other employees - to hire, fire, direct work, create and manage projects. Or they have to be in such a profession (doctor, lawyer, accountant) that they are using basically a college degree in a learned manner.

If I'm reading into your question correctly your son has been named a "manager" but probably has no such authority...he's just basically there doing all the work, while the employer pays him nothing extra for ours over 40 per week. That's not correct and he should be classified as an hourly employee and paid overtime (time and one half for all hours over 40 per week). If you suspect this is true and want to pursue it, I'd suggest filing charges with the Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Department, which would investigate the matter, make a determination of whether he is properly classified and would attempt to resolve the matter. If they cannot resolve it, they will bring a lawsuit against the employer. You can learn how and where to file such a charge at the Department's website - here.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

John and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you