Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I was discharged 1/11/13 from my position as manager from a

I was discharged 1/11/13 from my position as manager from a propane operations...reasons was 'failure to manage.' This happened after an acquisition by Suburban Propane in July or August of 2012. In the last month or so, my office was closed and our customers were absorbed by three other Suburban offices. I suspected this was likely to happen. My question is, if my discharge was ultimately due to my branch office closing at some time in the near future and my job had been eliminated, would I not be eligible for a severance? Suburban's policy was to pay a severance of one week's pay for each year employed if position or job was eliminated. I had worked there for twenty-five plus years. My severance would have been around $37,000. I'm questioning them discharging me instead of paying a fairly large severance. To my knowledge all other managers in my previous company were released, but paid a severance.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 10 months ago.
Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

I am sorry to hear that this has happened to you.

I suggest that based on your scenario and facts it appears it was an effort to not have to pay you a severance and if that is the case and others have been paid the severance as per the terms of the employer's policy, I suggest you may have a basis for a discrimination case.

I suggest that you should at least consult with a local employment law attorney who can fully evaluate your matter and make a determination as to whether you have a discrimination case or not.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.