Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Experience:  Review contracts for major corporations
14472836

I work for the state of California and I am thinking about

I work for the state of California and I am thinking about applying for another state position. I told my employers I was looking for a position that better suits my skills and personality type. The responded with an end date and made me sign something agreeing that I would not have anymore unplanned absences and that I would perform all the duties of the job. Any unplanned absences or failure to perform the duties of the position will get me terminated. Is this an unfavorable circumstance? The new position is asking if I've ever resigned because of an unfavorable circumstance. Also, the new position is under the same HR department and I'm afraid they will have access to the information.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

Unfavorable circumstance is where some misconduct or violation of company practices occurred and you resigned rather than get fired, or face the possibility of being terminated. Many times employees rather have a termination on their record simply quit. They have effectively quit under unfavorable circumstance.

Violating the terms now in your employment would be misconduct, and if you resigned that would be unfavorable circumstances.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater). Rating my answer will not cost you more.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, the paper I signed is like a warning, and as long as I do not violate the terms now, I am ok? I intend to do what I have agreed to so that I am not terminated.

It is similar to a warning. What it is are the new terms of your employment agreement. Just like a dress code might be, fighting, or other rules which are labeled as conditions of employment.