wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

My employer is seeking to change my job description to add

My employer is seeking to change my job description to add significantly more and varied duties to my job without any form of compensation. Do I have any recourse to decline the new job description and continue doing the job I was hired to do? And if I resign, do I have recourse to apply for unemployment?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 10 months ago.

wallstreetfighter :

Hello and welcome. My name isXXXXX am a Licensed practicing attorney and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

wallstreetfighter :

Would you be paid more?

wallstreetfighter :

Are you qualified to do the job?

Customer:

I would not be paid more. And I am qualified. I have been performing the job responsibilities that the last employee was doing before she as fired in March and not replaced

wallstreetfighter :

This is an unfortunate situation, and you can deny the new position, however the employer could state that you quit the position, and you can be denied unemployment benefits,

wallstreetfighter :

In DE you can only be given unemployment benefits if you were terminated,

wallstreetfighter :

or if you quit with good cause,

wallstreetfighter :

good cause, would be a major medical reason, or harassment,

wallstreetfighter :

Quitting the position due to the increased duties would not allow you to obtain benefits,

wallstreetfighter :

What you can consider doing is accept the job, and have the employer terminate you for poor performance, this way you can obtain benefits,

Customer:

I work in an organization where I was hired to do non-abortion related services, and now they want me to manage abortion services, which I have some ethical issues with. Does that make any difference?

wallstreetfighter :

You can bring up a religious accommodation issue,

Customer:

So I can be terminated for poor performance and still get unemployment? I thought if they had justifiable reason, that I wouldnt be eligble

wallstreetfighter :

however you have to claim that you cannot accept the new duties due to your religous beliefs

Customer:

It's not religious, per se

Customer:

just moral

wallstreetfighter :

poor performance cannot prohibit you from unemployment, only misconduct,

wallstreetfighter :

the law only protects religious convictions,

Customer:

I see.

wallstreetfighter :

moral is difficult,

wallstreetfighter :

Your best argument to not accept the position is a religious objection,

Customer:

What if my employer says I do not have a choice but to accept new job description?

wallstreetfighter :

and you would be protected by Federal law

wallstreetfighter :

in that case, you have to decide, if you decline the position,

wallstreetfighter :

you would have to argue that it was against your religion in order to prove good cause. to obtain benefits,

Customer:

Could they fire me for declining the new job description/job?

wallstreetfighter :

yes, DE is an at will State and an employer can terminate you for any reason,

wallstreetfighter :

if they fire you that is better,

wallstreetfighter :

you may want to send them a letter stating that you want to continue working in the same position that you were before,

wallstreetfighter :

and that due to your beliefs you cannot accept a different position,

wallstreetfighter :

If they terminate you, you can apply for benefits,

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

I think you

wallstreetfighter :

You do have a difficult decision,

Customer:

ve answered all my questions. (Oops). It is a difficult decision

wallstreetfighter :

it would be best that you try to claim a religious exception and the employer may agree

wallstreetfighter :

If not make sure that you are terminated so you can receive benefits.

wallstreetfighter :

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer:

It feels like a challenging argument for me since I have been helping with those services for the last seven months, with the understanding that someone else would fill that role

Customer:

But it's worth a shot

wallstreetfighter :

good luck,

Customer:

thank you wsf

wallstreetfighter :

If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you

Customer:

ok

wallstreetfighter :

Thank you

wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience: 14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits