Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

My employer fired me for having the audacity to not tell him

My employer fired me for having the audacity to not tell him I wanted a decrease in pay when I saw the company business slowing down. Have my rights or labor laws been violated?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard

Please tell me

1 - do you have an employment contract with a start date and an end date?

2 - did the employer say it was the reason you were fired is because you said you would take less pay for awhile?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no contract at all.

Last year, another employee was called on the phone by the owner while I was sitting there and the owner asked him "Do you have anything to tell me?" the next words out of his mouth were "You have seen things slow down and you have not called me to tell me to decrease your pay, so Your Fired." After he hung up the phone he walked over to me and asked me "Do you have anything to tell me?", in shock and terror of losing my job I responded "I can't afford a reduction in pay". He asked me again "Do you have anything to tell me?" I said "My pay just went down $100 a week". He turned and walked away.

Last Friday when I went to the office, after I arrived, he told me to sit down. Then he said "You have seen things have slowed down and yet, you have the audacity to Not tell me to decrease your pay, so Your Fired."

Keep in mind that my pay was already reduced $100 a week almost a year ago to the day.

How the hell do you react to something like that?

So I got up and left.

That's nuts.

I suggest that while you can be fired for any reason that is not due to discrimination this is a basis to file for and collect unemployment.

In essence your employer is saying they cannot afford to pay you and so they have fired you and they can do so legally. But you have recourse for unemployment benefits

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.