John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.

if a employee leaves to start is own business can they contact

if a employee leaves to start is own business can they contact our customers for work? we don't have a non compete.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

Generally, yes an employee leaving an employer is free to compete with the former employer and contact customers. This is assuming 1) the employee who left did this "contact" on his own time and not during business hours for the former employer, and 2) the employee is not using the former employer's proprietary information or trade secrets to compete. Knowledge of who your customers are is not a trade secret or proprietary information, but such things as price lists, various specific formulas or methods of work are. So, unless the employee did one of these two things, the competition would be considered legal.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.