John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.

What if anything can we do about a wage garnishment for a contract

What if anything can we do about a wage garnishment for a contract person working for us? We live in Louisiana ! They creditor is trying to make us pay now because no money was withheld ! The contract worker filed bankruptcy during the time all this was going on!
Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

My best thought for you is to not respond because the contractor's filing of bankruptcy effectively freezes and stays all court actions including collections. Tell the contractor to inform his bankruptcy attorney of the the particular creditor making the garnishment claim, which in return will result in a notice of claim being sent to that creditor and inform them they cannot maintain a collection action pending the bankruptcy. After its all said and done the creditor cannot sustain a claim for garnishment of the funds. So your not in any danger in not responding pending this bankruptcy.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating; these allow me to continue to serve customers. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.