John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

How many hours a week can an employer force a salaried employee

How many hours a week can an employer force a salaried employee to work?
Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

Most people find this hard to believe, but an employer has no limit on how many hours it can require of an employee who is properly classified as salaried "exempt". Generally an employee is properly classified as exempt when he/she is a manager, administrator or professional and paid a salary of at least $450 per week. Unfortunately many employers miss classify employees as exempt. If she believes she does not fall in one of these exempt categories, I'd recommend she call the Department of Labor to audit the position to determine if she should be hourly "non-exempt" and owed overtime for these hours. They do this free of charge, will investigate and collect overtime if it is owed. Unfortunately this is common place these days because a lot of employers are trying to do more with less staff. But, in any event, she may want to consider contacting the Department of Labor here, to determine if she is properly "exempt" from overtime.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.