Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

Our company is not doing well financially. WE gave 30 day

Our company is not doing well financially. WE gave 30 day notice to the entire sales team of a payroll reduction. They are the highest paid employees in the office. One is threatening to sue because we did not cut EVERYONE in the work place. I didn't think it was discrimination if we cut an entire department - is it?
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines.

No, that is not illegal discrimination.

Illegal discrimination requires that a particular group be singled out AND that that group is specifically protected by statute.

If you had let all white people go, or all females or all people that had used FMLA, then there would be a discrimination claim. Nothing in the law though requires that everyone in a company be treated the same.

I can't tell you if you're going to get sued. Anyone can sue. That being said, there are no facts here to support a successful suit against you.