JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Government and private sector employment law experience

I am a diabetic and had an accident related to a diabetic reaction.

I am a diabetic and had an accident related to a diabetic reaction. I have received notice that my license will be suspended for 6 months. Is there anything I can do to allow me to drive to and from work?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 9 months ago.

JBaxLaw :

Hello, I am a professional here to assist you. I appreciate your use of this service.

JBaxLaw :

The provider would have completed this form.

JBaxLaw :

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/DL_DiabeticReport.pdf

JBaxLaw :

You need to look at question five.

JBaxLaw :

The issue is whether the provider indicated you were capable of driving.

JBaxLaw :

You may need to have the provider complete the form again, if it was not completed properly. If the provider indicated you are not able to drive that is a problem.

JBaxLaw :

You would want to speak with the medical provider.

JBaxLaw :

There is no work transportation exemption. The key is Number 5 on the form I linked above. This is a statement from the physician as to whether or not you may operate a vehicle.

JBaxLaw :

Please follow-up with me as needed. I hope you will take a moment to leave a positive rating for my efforts here. Please do not hesitate to follow-up with me if you cannot leave a positive service rating. Your satisfaction is my goal. I rely on these service ratings. I appreciate it.

Thank you

JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer
Experience: Government and private sector employment law experience
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 9 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes, the endocrinologist indicated on the form AND in a letter to the DMV that I am capable of driving. That's why the suspension is coming as such a shock
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 9 months ago.
The letter may have been in error or the letter from the provider may not have been received. Did the letter state the reason for the suspension?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was told today by the woman at the DMV that its a "mandatory" 6 month suspension (MN Statute) if you have an accident related to a diabetic reaction
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 9 months ago.
The six month suspension is only automatic if the condition is not reported to the DMV on the form within 30 days of the accident per MINNESOTA RULE 7410.2610.

Thank you