Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

If I submit a resignation letter with and end date, can my

If I submit a resignation letter with and end date, can my boss just change the date? Do I have the right to ask for my lost wages between the two dates?
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines.

Unfortunately no. Legally, when you submit your resignation what you are doing is resigning immediately but you are offering them the chance to use your services for an additional two weeks, or whatever period the notice was for.

They are not legally obligated though to accept that additional service. They don't have to pay you for it and letting you go early doesn't convert the resignation into a termination for unemployment purposes.

It's unfair. I've never liked the way the law works on this issue, as it clearly favors the employer and harms the person trying to do the right thing, but unfortunately this is well settled law.