Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.

my former employee is arrasing my, my wife and our business.

my former employee is arrasing my, my wife and our business. through emails and text. what can we do to stop it?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to provide an honest and accurate answer to your question.

Before we begin, a bit more detail would be helpful.

What is the nature of the harassment?

Are you being physically threatened?

What does the employee want?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we have a restaurang and our former employee was working as a waiter. everything started great till he didnt show up for a week. he ame back and said he had alcohol problems. so because we like him. we gave him another chance. happen second time. and after a talk we gave him a second chance. after the third time no show no call for a week. he came back and said sorry. can i come and pick up my last paycheck. and we gave it to him. 3 weeks after that he applied for unemployment. but after all this no show. and he qiut. we fellt not to be our resposibility for unemploymnet. now he is upset about it. and been calling all differnt people. laywers. magazins etc. plus sending us bad emails and text

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

If he is threatening your safety or your property then you can report it to the police and it is criminal harassment and can be prosecuted. Likewise, if he is making defamatory statements about you he can be sued for defamation and made to pay damages to you.

If the purpose of his communication is solely to annoy and harass you may be able to seek a restraining order against him. That will prevent him from further contact and subject him to sanctions for violation. A restraining order is somewhat complex in terms of the process and you would probably want to retain local counsel for that.

However, if none of those are applicable to his behavior then your options, from a legal standpoint, are somewhat limited. You can not really stop him from contacting other people. As for yourselves, you can block his texts and emails in your text and email applications. You will never even know they were sent. They will go straight to deletion.

It is my privilege to assist you.  Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Since this forum is no substitute for your own legal counsel, you may want to verify the information I have provided with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures.

I am happy to answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. 

Thank you.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Loren" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.