Brandon, Esq.
Brandon, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.

I am an independent computer technician in and around Dallas

I am an independent computer technician in and around Dallas Texas, I have a client that is refusing to pay invoices because "in his words" I was too late providing him the invoices. It totals over 6 thousand dollars. This person is a Dentist ... I was on contract to provide tech related services during this period of time. The contract was $400 per month for general maintenance, this gave him a discount rate for 6 hours a month. All other work provide above and beyond the 6 hours was at $100.00 per hour. I have all work completed on Google calendar and invoiced through QuickBooks ... I have printed out all invoices and provided the Doctor with copies. I would like to know if I can Subpoenas employee's to testify in small claims court? If yes, how do I go about that?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Brandon, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Brandon, Esq. :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today. My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Are you online with me today?

Brandon, Esq. :

You can absolutely subpoena witnesses to a small claims court. There is not a charge for the Court to issue a Subpoena, but there is a service fee of approximately $60.00 and a witness fee of Ten Dollars ($10.00). Normally a Ten Dollar ($10.00) must be attached to the top of the Subpoena. You will go down to the clerk at the court house you want to file and request a small claims subpoena form. You will need to provide the name of the witness that you want to come to court.

Brandon, Esq. :

You will also specifically ask for any papers you want that person to bring to trial.

Brandon, Esq. :

Once you submit this paper to the clerk the clerk will have it issued and will sign and stamp your subpoena as filed.

Customer:

That is perfect ... based on the facts I have provided what can I expect as a response from the judge?

Brandon, Esq. :

If you can show an agreement with payment per hour and a prove that you worked a particular amount of hours, then you will be paid. Being to late in providing invoices will not protect the defendant

Brandon, Esq. :

The judge will look at the terms of the contract you have with this person

Customer:

Ok ... Thank you!

Brandon, Esq. :

Not a problem. Have I fully answered your question today?

Customer:

Is there any advice you can give me to help with preperation and follow through?

Customer:

I am a small claims newbee

Brandon, Esq. :

Just that preparation is key. Make sure to have all of your evidence to prove that there 1) was a contract, that 2) you fulfilled your obligation of the contract, and 3) that the dentist knew that you filled your obligation (either by request or text message or email

Customer:

ok, thank you ...

Brandon, Esq. :

Here is some information for you regarding small claims

Brandon, Esq. :

http://www.dfwparalegalservice.com/small-claims.html

Brandon, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.