A.J.
A.J., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice law, I have experience in Employment, Appeals, and Landlord/Tenant Law
14926557

Can an emplyer force an employee to work with a contractor

Customer Question

Can an emplyer force an employee to work with a contractor that the employee believes is incompetent?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  A.J. replied 10 months ago.

A.J. :

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer. My name isXXXXX am an employment law professional, and I look forward to answering your question this evening.

A.J. :

Unfortunately, in the absence of contract language specifically stating that the employee has some say in the who they must work with, then yes, an employer can force an employee to work with a particular contractor no matter how incompetent that contractor might be.

A.J. :

The problem is that, without a contract, the employee is employed "at-will", which means that the employer has the right to set or change the terms and conditions of the employment, including who to bring in as an outside contractor, without any notice to or input from the employee.

A.J. :

For better or worse, employment law both at the state and federal level gives significant leeway to the employer in how they run their business. While it is often in the best interests of the employer to listen to the warnings of their employees when a contractor is not up to par, unfortunately employers are not required to do so, they are free (again assuming there is no contract stating otherwise) to hire contractors as they see fit, and can force their employees to work with that contractor.

A.J. :

I wish I had better news for you, and I appreciate the opportunity to answer your question. Let me know if you need any additional information or if I can clarify anything that I have said (never be afraid to ask for clarification!). Otherwise, please remember to RATE my answer so that I can receive credit for my work.

A.J., Employment Lawyer
Experience: Licensed to practice law, I have experience in Employment, Appeals, and Landlord/Tenant Law