John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I worked for a small company for close to 20 years. I left

I worked for a small company for close to 20 years. I left the company over two years ago. I had about 60 k in a profit sharing/401 k plan when I left. About three months after I left, I received a letter that the company was ending the plan. I didn't hear anything for another 3 months, then I got a letter saying they were asking the IRS to make a plan determination. Been over a year since the second letter and still nothing. It does not feel like the normal process. Does all this sound reasonable?
Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

The truth of the matter is there are a number of things (requests for information, data compilation etc.) that could have occurred in this process that has delayed the receiving of a determination letter. Certainly the matter has been assigned to a specialist by this point; the IRS reports that all cases postmarked as late as June 2013 have been assigned a specialist.

If you wish, you may contact the IRS and inquire as to the status of the matter. you can contact us by phone, fax, or mail to check on the status of your letter. The IRS can’t respond to your inquiry through e-mail. You will need the following information before you contact them to verify a letter application status:
  1. Name of the employer;
  2. Employer’s employer identification number (available on the Form W-2);
  3. Name of the plan;
  4. Plan number;
  5. Application number;
  6. Date application was submitted;
  7. Indicate that you are a plan participant

Here is their contact information:

By phone: call(NNN) NNN-NNNN(toll free)

By fax: fax your information to(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

By mail: mail your information to:

Internal Revenue Service
EP Determinations
Attn: Customer Service Manager
P.O. Box 2508
Cincinnati, OH 45202

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.