Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

So, I work for the Federal government and was payed a relocation

So, I work for the Federal government and was payed a relocation bonus in July with a one year commitment. The government has shut down and isn't paying my salary. In addition, I am in a position where we are told that we MUST work irrespective of whether we are getting paid. If we are out for any reason save a dire emergency we will be considered AWOL and terminated. So, I can't look for work because of my job requirements AND I am not getting paid. If I just out right quit, do I have to pay back the signing bonus? I mean their part of the deal was that I would get paid a regular paycheck right?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

As this is only a temporary condition and they have a past history of making up pay to those who have been in this situation previously, I am afraid that if you quit based on them being shut down, you would have to repay the bonus you received. At this point, this is a situation that while you could leave, they will argue against you receiving unemployment as they would argue your pay would be made up retroactive and that the bonus would have to be repaid.

Unfortunately, the only other thing you could do here is seek a local attorney to consider bringing suit against them under the Fair Labor Standards Act, for non-payment of wages, which states that employees must be paid for work and you have to prove they will not be paying you for work and if you prove they will not be paying you then you would have the argument they breached their agreement which would be sufficient to argue the bonus is not due back to them. It is going to be a tough claim if they can show they have historically made retroactive payments.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a time limit where say, when I run out of money and can't pay my rent and will get evicted, or do I have to keep working indefinitely? I don't care about unemployment. I just want to find another job ASAP.

Thank you for your response.

The last shutdown lasted about 22 days, that is all we have to go off of and they paid back all of the employees who worked. There is really no time limit in the law that you can specifically claim, you would have to fight this on the "reasonableness" issue which would mean it is open to subjective interpretation of a court I am afraid.