John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.

I worked in a bar....Is it Defamation if your employer has

I worked in a bar....Is it Defamation if your employer has fired you for no reason other than they say I had some complaints of being slow and then talks about you to other business owners that frequent the bar? State of Minnesota is where I live.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m happy to assist you with your question today. I'm sorry to hear about your job loss.

You could very well have the basis for a some claims. The possible claims you'd have if he fabricated a misrepresentation of your character or work to prospective employers in the community: defamation per se, tortious interference with business relations, and intentional infliction of emotional distress. You'd have to be able to allege and prove that the person intentionally misrepresented factual assertions to these persons, with the intention to defame your character and cause interference with your employment, and that it caused you financial and emotional distress as a result. These claims are often tough to prove because one's "opinion" is an absolute defense. For example if they said "he wasn't a good employee", (which is an opinion and not actionable) versus "he came to work late every day (which is a factual misrepresentation and actionable). Likewise, there is difficulty in proving the person's intent - they need to have done it intentionally with an intent to harm, which is tough to prove. But, overall, you very well may have a claim, you'd need to really investigate what has been said and have an idea of why he has said these things.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.