How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 116260
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If your ex husband changes jobs frequently, lies about where

This answer was rated:

If your ex husband changes jobs frequently, lies about where he is working , if working, or goes on unemployment. And you have temporary orders already signed by the judge, (and the ex) to garnish wages for a fixed amount of child support, on the job that he was working at and immediately quit,and lied said he was going on unemployment, but actually does have a job.
I found out where he works and her lawyer is going to handle it but cant till tomorrow and he gets paid Friday and she hasn't received any child support ever.
What is the process that the lawyer has to do to get the wages from the company he is now employed at, to be garnished through the attorney generals office?
And if he continues to change jobs frequently does the state keep track of where hes working through SSi and immediately withdraw from that. Thanks, Brenda
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The lawyer will have to get a garnishment order from the court to serve it on the new employer I am afraid, just like they have done on the previous employers. If he is in arrears of more than $2500, you need to ask the attorney to move the court to suspend his drivers license and passport as well, which puts more pressure on him. The attorney can also serve an order on unemployment to go on his record for garnishment of his unemployment benefits if he should get them and also serve the SSA regarding those benefits, since they can be garnished for child support.

Unfortunately, when someone keeps changing jobs, the spouse receiving support has to keep on it and keep notifying the court of the job changes and getting new orders of garnishment to put in place with the new employer. There is no real other way to do this quickly within the laws and the way the legal process is set up I am afraid.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Employment Law Questions