Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I have worked for a company 20+ years. Several months ago they

I have worked for a company 20+ years. Several months ago they asked me health questions. What I have and what medications I am on. Every year they change insurance plans. The last Friday of the month before they started a new insurance plan I was told they no longer needed me they were going in a different direction. I have always done my job and I don't miss work because of my medical conditions. My medicines are do cost a lot and I have been told they cost the company extra money for insurance.

Thank you for the information. Can you please tell me what your specific legal question is? Also, can you tell me if you have an actual disability? Finally, was anyone else let go by the employer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am bi polor, I have diabetes type 2, I think I was let go because my medicines are very costly. No one else was let go.

Hello again and thank you for that clarification. Although I don't see where you asked a specific question, I will assume you are asking if you have any recourse for your termination. As you may know, Virginia is what is known as an employment "at will" state. That means that an employer may terminate an employment relationship for any, or no, reason and with no notice or warning unless the termination would violate an employment contract, company policy or employment discrimination law. So, unless a termination falls within one of those exceptions, it would be legal.

In your case, there is at least a possibility that your termination was motivated because of your disability. Because of that, you will want to consider doing a few things. The first is to sit down with a local employment law attorney and discuss the details of your termination, your work history, the company termination policies, and what was said and done in your case. That way they can help you decide what specific course you want to take to resolve this issue. You will also have to file a disability discrimination complaint with either the Virginia Counsel on Human Rights or the EEOC before their deadlines in order to preserve this legal issue. That would be 180 days and 300 days respectively. But, since this just occurred, you may want to speak to an attorney before you decide to file your complaint, so you can decide on whether to file with the State or the EEOC.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.