Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I recently received a contract for a company based in England

I recently received a contract for a company based in England to do work for them here in the US that will involve cashing checks for them (made out to me personally) and then forwarding the verified funds to them after deducting my percentage fee from the amount paid. I have been in contact with the company for about a week, and after some research online, the company appears legit, but I have some major concerns about fraud. I received the initial contact from this company through careerbuilder.com and I am awaiting a response from them as to the legitimacy of the position being offered. I do not want to sign the contract until I have had it reviewed. What should my next step be and would you be able to review the contract and advise me?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do everything I can to answer your question.

This is a classic fake job scam. No legitimate company will EVER ask you to use your personal bank account to cash checks, nor would they ever ask customers to write checks to an employee in their personal capacity.

Legitimate companies have to use official business accounts for tax and legal purposes. Using personal accounts compromises the integrity of the company's incorporated or limited status and subjects the officers and owners of the company to seizure of their personal assets to satisfy unpaid debt. That is to say, it is a completely unacceptable business practice and no real company would ever hire someone and ask that employee use their personal bank account for company transactions.

The people who have contacted you with this job are unfortunately trying to use you as an intermediary in an international fraud scheme, which of course you should want absolutely no part in. Your best option is to immediately cease further contact and report this scam to the FTC here: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

If you would like me to look into the particulars of this company, please advise me of their name by using their reply tab below. I am more than happy to assist you further if necessary.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

That is exactly what I figured and hence why I sought guidance. Thank you for your assistance and if you have time to look further into this supposed company, it would be helpful. My company details are below:

HCE - Health Care Equipment &Supplies Ltd

Crest House

53 Station Road

Egham TW20 9LG

England

Fax 0845(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong>

Thank you for your time.

Christopher,

Glad I could confirm your suspicions. Can you provide me with the email address from which you received messages concerning your employment? When you type it out, please omit the "@" symbol otherwise the email will be blocked out by this site's privacy software.

Thanks in advance...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Nancy Collison - HCE <hcelimited at zoho.com>

Also, per your advice, I submitted a claim to the FTC. Also, here is the company website: www.hce-uk.com

Christopher,

Thanks again. HCE is a legitimate company validly registered with Companies House in the UK. Their website domain registry info reflects that the site has been up and running for ten years. The problem here is that you are dealing with imposters trying to use the good name and reputation of this company to lure victims into a false sense of security so they are more likely to go along with this scam.

The legitimate contact information for HCE is contained here: http://www.hce-uk.com/epages/HCE-UK.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Healthcare/Categories/Imprint

Note that the fax number is XXXXX from what you have provided, as is the email address (theirs all end in the website domain of the site--hce-uk.com). The email you received is a zoho.com address, which is a free email service that anyone can use to register emails anonymously and immediately. You or I could register "cocacolaHR@zoho.com" if we wanted to, but of course that wouldn't mean we had any affiliation with Coca Cola.

I hope this provides some additional clarification and closure for you. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Kindest regards.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Significant experience in all areas of employment law.