Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

Hello, I work for a Mississippi based company and we travel

Hello, I work for a Mississippi based company and we travel to other states for work. Most of our travel is by car/truck. My question is. When we are heading to or from a job. If we get into overtime (after 40 hours) should that be paid as overtime or can they calling travel time and not pay the time and a half after 40?
Thanks

Daniel :

Daniel :

That time has to be paid as overtime at overtime rate when exceeds 40 for the week.

Daniel :

It may be called travel but has to be paid the same as any other hour worked and when crossing over 40 in total for the week, at overtime rate

Daniel :

Here then, the payment at below OT is improper and if employer wont self correct you may pursue a complaint with the state labor board.

Daniel :

It is also a violation of the fair labor standards act ("FLSA") and actionable in court.

Daniel :

Please let me know if that is acceptable or if I can clarify anything

Customer: I believe that is all that I need. I couldn't hind anything that excluded travel time from overtime pay so I thought that I would ask.
Customer: Thanks.
Daniel :

Very welcome

Daniel :

Have a nice evening

Daniel :

Kindly click on an excellent rating