Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I have requested by personnel file from my boss 5 days ago,

I have requested by personnel file from my boss 5 days ago, he has not responded, what should I do?
Good afternoon and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do everything I can to answer your question.

MA law provides that employers who fail to timely comply with a personnel file request may be fined not less than $500 and not more than $2,500. (Note that the fine is not paid to the employee but rather collected by the government. Think of it like a "ticket.") Failure may also subject an employer to criminal prosecution.

An employee's recourse under the circumstances is to file a complaint with the MA Attorney General, which has the power to enforce the provisions of the personnel records statute. Upon receipt of a complaint, the Attorney General’s office will investigate and act if it deems appropriate to do so.

See here to file a complaint online: The complaint type will be "wage and hour."

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes and kindest regards.