How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask John Your Own Question

John, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 3707
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a union employee. About March 2013 management started

Resolved Question:

I am a union employee and have been with my employer seven and a half years. About March 2013 management started taking my job duties away from me and gave them to a non-union employee in my department. My job performance reviews have been excellent and my work was not taken away because of inability to perform it. I am the only employee with this job title in my work group. After taking the work away from me that I was hired to do, I was given work that doesn't fall under my job description but rather falls under the job description of another union represented job of the same grade in my work group of which there are about ten employees; however, I was not given the job title to go along with the new work I was given. I have been doing that work since March of 2013 and I have been told by management that I am performing well. At the end of July, 2013, I was notified my job was being eliminated. If I had been given the job title for the new work I was given to do, I would have seniority over some of these ten other employees and would not be losing my job. My last day as an employee of this company is 9/27/13.  Do I have a winning EEOC or other complaint against my employer?

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

Because you are a union member, you have all the rights under the collective bargaining agreement to "just cause" in your employment - this means a fair and accurate investigation and procedure - along with a right to be heard. Also, you need to file a grievance against the company for your your loss of job duties to a non-union employee - you have the absolute right to do that. Likewise, if the grievance is rejected, you can request your union file arbitration for you. At arbitration you'd get a hearing from an impartial arbitrator who would probably rule that the employer has to stop allowing non-union employees to do bargaining unit work.

If the union ultimately fails to do these things for you - there are two courses of action you can take -1) is to file an unfair labor practice against the union for failure to represent you. These are free of charge and you can follow the process at this link 2) is to file a Section 301 Labor Management Relations Act (LMRA) claim against both the employer and union in federal court. With the Section 301 claim you would indeed have to hire your own attorney in the 301 claim you are essentially suing the employer (because it violated the collective bargaining agreement) and the Union (because it did not properly represent you).

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.

John, thank you for your prompt reply! I edited my question a few times after I initially submitted it. I hope you read my question after I finished editing it and I hope my editing wouldn't materially change your response. You have given me valuable information that I can act upon and I will come Monday. You have given me hope and I will sleep better this weekend.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Paul, yes I reviewed your final edited question. I regularly handle matters like the scenario you described, and I'm sure that is the proper direction in such a matter. I hope this answer has helped you. Please leave a positive rating before you exit this chat as it is the only way I get credit for my answers. You are not charged any additional fee by the website for positively rating my question, but if you do not positively rate my question I do not get credit for my answers. If you have any questions in the future regarding this matter come back to this thread and I'll be happy to answer. Thanks and good luck with the matter.
John, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 3707
Experience: Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
John and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I must thank you all for such a positive and knowledgeable Expert in your Employment Law category. She has provided much relief and answers for me in the midst of dealing with a case. I am totally pleased with her customer service and care. Mildred Washington, DC
< Previous | Next >
  • I must thank you all for such a positive and knowledgeable Expert in your Employment Law category. She has provided much relief and answers for me in the midst of dealing with a case. I am totally pleased with her customer service and care. Mildred Washington, DC
  • Excellent direction from Socrateaser to help me preserve and pursue my rights as a proud American who has become unemployed in this messed-up economic downfall. Thank you Happy Customer Denver, CO
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
  • Allen M., Esq.'s Avatar

    Allen M., Esq.

    Employment Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Employment/Labor Law Litigation
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
  • JB Umphrey's Avatar

    JB Umphrey


    Satisfied Customers:

    Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: