wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I resigned a position and left on Aug 23rd. However the company

I resigned a position and left on Aug 23rd. However the company has continued to direct deposit full paychecks to my Citibank account. I know their payroll Dept is currently understaffed. What is my responsibility in this situation?

wallstreetfighter :

Hello and welcome. My name isXXXXX am a Licensed practicing attorney and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

wallstreetfighter :

This is a common situation,

wallstreetfighter :

This is an overpayment, and even if the employer has made the mistake you are obligated to pay the employer back the extra money,

wallstreetfighter :

You need to advise them in writing as soon as possible of the matter, or contact HR,

wallstreetfighter :

when you do arrange for a payback, be aware you should pay less than what was deposited,

wallstreetfighter :

as they have reported this income to the IRS,

wallstreetfighter :

and you end up paying more in taxes at the end of the year,

wallstreetfighter :

In some instances the employer may allow you to keep some and payback half, or let you pay it back overtime.