Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

Is there a law against verbal abuse in the workplace? Im

Is there a law against verbal abuse in the workplace? I'm assuming one needs to report it to the supervisor and plant manager but if the plant manager doesn't have a backbone or doesn't like me and my supervisor doesn't like to deal with problems, where can I go with this problem. It's come to the point things have happened at my home, (punctured gas tank, car keyed, picture anonymously sent with writing on it).
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines.

There is no law again verbal abuse, generally. By that, I mean that the Supreme Court has limited the use of employment laws by noting that our employment laws are not intended to be a civility code.

Rather, they are only intended to deal with illegal forms of discrimination based on race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use. So, verbal abuse based on any of those factors is illegal and should be reported to the EEOC in your state (or Department of Labor for FMLA discrimination).

Otherwise, there is not any law against generalized verbal abuse.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So all I can do is continue to ignore, talk to my supervisor or the plant manager and hope they take care of it or find another job

Unfortunately yes. There is no law against generalized yelling and verbal harassment in the workplace. Certainly, some employers choose to deal with situations like that, because it isn't a good work environment, but legally they don't have to.

In fact, they could choose to terminate you rather than the other person, if they feel like that would just be faster.

Now, if they did choose to terminate you, you'd get unemployment because you aren't doing anything that would amount to misconduct by complaining about the verbal harassment.