Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

i live in Ms i work for a paint company since 2009 have never

i live in Ms i work for a paint company since 2009 have never had to go out of town to work before I work 7 to 3:30 i get a text message at 5;15 telling i have to go to La to work and be there at 7 am can they fire me for not going?
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines.

Legally, yes they can. They can do so because in your state, employment is "at will" unless you have a contract of employment that specifically states that you can only be terminated for cause AND if that contract states that you can never be required to travel for work.

Now, if you have never traveled for work and were not told that you'd be traveling for work, you can certainly argue that you are not engaged in misconduct for not traveling. In that way, if you are terminated, you can still argue for unemployment.