Brandon, Esq.
Brandon, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
69271599

I am turning 68 and am getting pressure from my employer to

I am turning 68 and am getting pressure from my employer to set a retirement date. Can an employer require that I set such a date?

Brandon, Esq. :

Hello and thank you for your question today.

Brandon, Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Brandon, Esq. :

Not only can an employer not require that you set such a date, but the mere instance of asking for it can be seen as discrimination based on your age.

Brandon, Esq. :

Welcome to the chat

Brandon, Esq. :

If you can get your boss to put this request in writing, then you haven an open and shut case.

Brandon, Esq. :

Absent that, you should consider writing down when this was asked, as well as any witnesses who may have seen it.

Brandon, Esq. :

Then, you can make a formal complaint to the EEOC

Brandon, Esq. :

or get an employment attorney involved if any adverse employment action occurs against you.

Brandon, Esq. :

If you want to file with the EEOC you can do so here:

Brandon, Esq. :

If you decide to hire an attorney a great resource is www.Martindale.com. This is a nationwide directory that is useful in finding highly qualified legal specialists in various fields of law. The lawyers in Martindale are not selected because they paid to be included, but rather because they have been rated by other attorneys as qualified experts in their field. Consider consulting with two or three different attorneys willing to take your case prior to selecting the one you feel most comfortable with.

Brandon, Esq. :

In either situation, you would reference the ADEA which is the Age Discrimination in Employment Act

Brandon, Esq. :

Does all of that make sense?

Customer:

Thank you. You have confirmed what I thought to be the case.