John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.

Must an employer reimburse mileage expense for a work related

Must an employer reimburse mileage expense for a work related trip? If a restaurant employer directs their employee to drive to the bank to drop off a cash deposit on their way home, must the employee be reimbursed for a mileage expense? Does it matter if the employee is exempt or non-exempt? Hourly or Salary? I have restaurants in these states: UT, AZ, NE, MO, NM, and IL. Thanks.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. None of these states requires employers to reimburse mileage expenses....this is regardless of whether the employee is hourly or salary. If the employee is hourly however, he or she would be owed hourly compensation technically to the time they complete the task as it is technically labor they otherwise wouldn't be doing.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – select the Reply to Expert or Continue Conversation button. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.