Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

What should I do if the company says on Sep 13th that they

What should I do if the company says on Sep 13th that they released you as of Sep 5, 2013 for staff reduction while the Manager says it is not on Sep 6th, 2013 and the other employee have been in touch with Company work via email until Sep 8, 2013.
I work for Multinational oil US based company in Nigeria on a commuting basis and my payroll is US. I stay in California
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Daniel : Hello,
Daniel : the clock runs from when notice was given.
Daniel : It cannot be made retroactive.
Daniel : The date of notice to the employee is the relevant date.
Daniel : If company won't appreciate that consider having local counsel cheaply and quickly convey it.
Daniel : martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.
Daniel : Awaiting your reply.
Customer:

Can the company lay off people on some pretext while teh actually it is not,...

Daniel : It cannot mix layoff with termination for cause.
Daniel : It does however have broad discretion.
Customer:

they are legally paying the severance payment,...

Daniel : It has to follow internal policies and may not discriminate.
Customer:

I am supposed to get the notice by Fedex tomorrow

Daniel : Discriminatory conduct can be pursued with outside complaint. The eeoc is a federal agency charged with reviewing discrimination complaints. www.eeoc.gov is its site and you can pursue a complaint using it.
Customer:

okay...thanks for the info..

Daniel : Most welcome.
Daniel : Have a nice weekend.
Daniel : I tried to expedite your question. kindly click on a rating of OK or higher for the answer.
Customer:

thanks..you too have a great weekend

Daniel : Will try.
Daniel : Turned the rating on.
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.