TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
17219180

My brother six years ago had a misdemeanor for trying to enter

My brother six years ago had a misdemeanor for trying to enter our grandparents house. A neighbor called the cops and arrested him and grandpa couldn't get the charges dropped no matter how hard he tried. Now my brother went to apply for a job at the nursing home I work for here in New Jersey, and they keep turning him down cause of that one issue on the background check! Now when we went to court six years ago the judge told us after four years it would be over and we had to return to make sure it was expunged and the judge did it. Now the background check shows that it happened and never was taken off! Now he can't get a job! Is this legal in New Jersey?

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, in New Jersey, the law allows private employers to discriminate based on a person criminal and arrest record.