Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

I was hospitalized for six weeks earlier this year with a serious

I was hospitalized for six weeks earlier this year with a serious MRSA infection in my leg. I was transferred through three hospitals in the process. I ask to see my medical records in two of the hospitals but was told I would get them when I was discharges but basically they were not available except with a two day delay and a charge of $25.

What are my rights while in a hospital to see my medical records on a prompt basis?

Dwayne B. :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

Dwayne B. :

I need you to be a little more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what are my rights" we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Customer:

Do I have a right to view my medical records online on the monitor in my room?

Customer:

Do I have the right to receive my medical records from the prior day while I am in the hospital?

Customer:

Do I have the right to receive lab and other test results when they are sent to the doctor?

Customer:

Do I have the right to sign on from my notebook computer to view lab results and doctors notes at any time?

Dwayne B. :

Do I have a right to view my medical records online on the monitor in my room? There is no law that specifically says you have a right to view records via a monitor in your room.

Dwayne B. :

Dwayne B. :

Not exactly. You have the right to review the records but the medical provider has up to 15 days to allow you to see them.

Dwayne B. :

Dwayne B. :

You have a right to see those or get a copy of them but again the medical provider has up to 15 days to allow you to view them or provide copies. They can also charge a "reasonable fee" for the copies.

Dwayne B. :

Dwayne B. :

No, there is no law that gives you that specific right. The provider can choose to let you do that but there is no law forcing them to do so.

Dwayne B. :

Georgetown University put out a pretty good pamphlet on your rights to medical records in VA which you can see at http://www.hpi.georgetown.edu/privacy/stateguides/va/va.pdf

Dwayne B. :

The website is showing you are offline so I will save and exit so I can assist others. If you have any additional questions please feel free to ask them in this thread. I will be online most of the day but it may take a little while for me to answer if I am assisting others.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can the person with my medical power of attorney see my medical records with less than a 15 day wait?

No, they would have the same rights as you. However, it isn't absolutely a 15 day wait, they just have up to 15 days. They could give it to you the same day if they chose to do so but the law allows them to take up to 15 day which most of them seem to use.