TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
17219180

I was offered a job and received an offer letter and signed

I was offered a job and received an offer letter and signed it. My start date was delayed because they wanted to talk with me. I went in and met with them and found out the received an anonymous letter in regards XXXXX XXXXX violations at my previous employer. I resigned from my previous employer with full benefits and pension. I did admit to my new employer of taking sporting events tickets a few times but that was all. I met with the VP and the director and they were fine with my answers but the companies senior management was against it. I have already quit my previous job so I am now unemployed. Do I have any legal recourse against this company since I quit my job and agreed to come to work with the new company and have a signed offer letter. Please advise.

Thank you for your question and I'm sorry to hear about this situation.

Had you disclosed the ethics violations to the new employer prior to receiving the offer letter, or was the disclosure made through the anonymous letter after you had received the offer letter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not disclose it prior to receiving the offer letter. I did not think anyone would be so vindictive

Generally, because this information was material to the job offer and was not disclosed beforehand, it will serve as a reasonable basis to withdraw the job offer even though you had accepted it already under the doctrine of fraudulent inducement.

However, there might be a possible action you could take against the former employer for negligent interference with prospective business relations if you can show that anything stated in the anonymous letter was an exaggeration or was actually untrue. Have you seen the letter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not see it but the letter did not come from my former employer it came anonymously and I would not want to sue them

While generally an offer letter may not be withdrawn after you have executed it and made moves in reliance upon it, the fact that this information was not disclosed prior to the letter is likely going to block your ability to claim breach in this case if the information was material to the consideration to offer the job.

Do you believe that the allegations of ethical violations are just? Is accepting tickets to a game actually an ethical violation in your profession?