TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
17219180

I work for a company that is employee owned and been with it

I work for a company that is employee owned and been with it for over 5 years. the company policy to promotion supervisor the employee must have academic credentials or the company would hire outside the company for someone with the academic credentials. It also stated that no one would be promoted to supervisor without a Bachelor Degree. I was a few credits away from completing my Bachelor Degree in Business Management, and they put in an employee with no academic credentials, and when I brought them my final credential they tell me we have nothing for you. They also did not give me a raise after I receive my Associate Degree. There are other things.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Do you have a written employment agreement with the Company?

What are the terms of the agreement between you and the company as to how you acquire shares?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just about everything I said is in the Employee's Handbook.

The company is (ESOP) Employees Stock Ownership Plan to give participants the benefits of ownership by providing retirement benefits based on the value of Common Stock held in Participants accounts under the ESOP. An participant must be 18 or older to participate following the completion of twelve months period with the company.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.

Illinois law holds that statements within an employee handbook are binding upon an employer.

Without the benefit of reading through the entire book and knowing the full details of the hire about which you are complaining, it is impossible to tell you that you have a bulletproof claim for breach against the employer. However, this is something you should definitely consider taking to a local attorney and letting them read it to determine whether there might be a claim for breach of contract against your employer.

Could it also be possible that the company's failure to promote you in violation of its own policy is based on illegal discrimination?
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience: Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination