Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.

Im an employer and have retail locations across several states

I'm an employer and have retail locations across several states
A manager quit recently and left personal belongings behind. They were sent to the corporate office bc space is an issue in the locations. Now she's asking for them back and wants us to ship them to her. Can I make her drive the almost 5 hours to pick them up? She's the one that quit and left them behind! I haven't discarded any of the items.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 10 months ago.

Daniel :

Daniel :

You can require the employee come and recover the items

Daniel :

Practically, consider shipping to employee instead.

Daniel :

otherwise, there is risk the employee will sue or file a labor board complaint

Daniel :

alternatively, see if employee will cover the shipping costs

Daniel :

but you have the choice to make employee come and get it

Daniel :

I wish you the best.

Daniel :

Please let me know if you are all clear and satisfied with the answer.

Daniel :

awaiting your reply

Customer: What could she sue or file a complaint about?
Daniel :

good question

Daniel :

for value or actual return of the property

Daniel :

and may file a police complaint

Daniel :

it could create a serious nuisance and cost

Daniel :

and for this reason, practically, if the cost is not high, accomodate.

Daniel :

I wish you the best.

Daniel :

Kindly let me know if the answer is fast and acceptable.

Daniel :

if I can clarify anything, please ask me

Daniel :

are you there?

Daniel :

awaiting your reply, when available.

Customer: Yes, I appreciate the response.
Daniel :

very welcome

Daniel :

Have a nice evening

Daniel :

Kindly click on an excellent rating.

Daniel :

that is how I get credit for the answer.

Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.