Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Is a potential employer entitled to ask for a persons past

Is a potential employer entitled to ask for a persons past W2s after the offer has been made and accepted?
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you, I will do everything I can to answer your question.

While this is an understandably bothersome request, it does not violate any legally recognized privacy interest, I'm afraid to say. An employee can of course refuse to comply with such request, but they are not protected from rescission of the job offer if that is how the employer chooses to respond.

I am truly sorry I cannot provide better news in this respect, but I trust you will appreciate an honest and accurate answer to your question.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If all the employer needs it for is back ground check, can one redact the amount?

I think that would be absolutely reasonable. However, if the employer wants to see an unredacted version, the employee enjoys no special legal protection if they refuse.

Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. I am more than happy to provide additional clarification if necessary.