Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.

I was recently interviewed by a recent former employer.however

I was recently interviewed by a recent former employer.however some of my ex co workers .requested the Human Resources department not to rehire me.
Thank you for your question and thank you most kindly for requesting me to assist you this evening.

What exactly is your question? How can I assist you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I want to know if the empoyer based there decision on my ex coworkers statements. If that is a valid reason to deny me employment.

Generally an employer does not have to disclose to you as to why they made their decision. There is no law, no decree, no court order that you can legitimately pursue that would compel or require the employer to disclose why and on what basis they made their decision. Furthermore, making a decision on past references or reputation is permitted--that is usually why employers ask for references. It only becomes a potential issue for liability if the information provided about you is defamatory (untrue) in nature. Then the individual or individuals who provided such information about you could be pursued for your damages. At best you can reach out to the employer and ask why they chose to not hire you. Then, if they choose to provide you with such information, and you find out that it was because of comments about you that aren't true, you could take legal action against those parties.

Good luck.