Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law

Can my employer tell me on friday afternoon, that i have to

Can my employer tell me on friday afternoon, that i have to work Saturday? I'm a non-union employee. We have union workers in our factory, but not in our office. They've recently been waiting until Friday afternoon, to tell us we have to work on Saturday. We're told to cancel any family plans and be to work, for a full day. We're all starting to feel like they own us and run our life.

Thank you for the information and your question. Unfortunately, unless there is a company policy that says that they cannot mandate overtime, or weekend work, without a certain amount of notice, the employer is free to do so. In fact, technically, they could call late at night or first thing in the morning and call people into work and it wouldn't violate Federal or Iowa employment laws, as long as there wasn't a contract or written company policy that stated differently. All that said, I agree, that this isn't the best management practice and certainly not very employee focused, but it is legal I'm afraid.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.

Hello again Brandy,

I wanted to touch base with you and thank you for your business. It was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue in the future, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.