Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Can someone file unemployment with two different states? We

Can someone file unemployment with two different states? We fired someone last week, and they had moved to Oklahoma this summer, and are renting a house, but still own one in Santa Fe, NM. Now I have paperwork from both OK and NM. Just wondering if she is allowed to do this?
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you, I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Employees may not simultaneously collect unemployment benefits in two different states. However, there is no law prohibiting an individual from collecting benefits from the state in which they worked and then moving to another state, provided they still otherwise meet the requirements for eligibility while in that other state (able and available to accept new work, actively seeking work, etc.) Many states also have reciprocity agreements with other states where by an employee can "transfer" their unemployment claim to another state in order to facilitate its administration.

In short, while employees cannot simultaneously collect UI benefits in two states, thereby "doubling" the amount they receive, there is no law against filing in one state and then moving to another or against transferring one's claim to a different state, provided a reciprocity agreement so permits.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.