Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert

My prospective employer outed my to my current boss, asked

My prospective employer outed my to my current boss, asked if i was a good worker and if i was a good chef.That current boss then interviewed and got a similar job where I wanted to work. Then I didn't get hired for a couple of lame reasons. Legal or illegal. Augusta, Georgia

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

Legal. Unethical, but legal based on the facts you have given here.

Customer: So that's just it, huh? Probably I didn't want to work for this new employer then anyway if this is how they do business. And the old boss that is leaving to go there was a bully anyway.
JD 1992 :

That's a healthy way to look at it.

JD 1992 :

There are very few things that an employer can do that is illegal in GA.

Customer: Too bad it doesn't make me feel any better.
JD 1992 :

Sorry, wish I knew the answer to that one.

Customer: Oh well. Should I contact the hr dept of the prospective employer and tell them that their director asked w/o permission or not.
JD 1992 :

You can, it probably won't make much of a difference since they don't legally need permission to ask.

Customer: Ok...I guess I chalk it up as a lesson. I actually would have done a great job. Thank you :(
JD 1992 :

You're very welcome and I hope it works out for the best. I can tell you since I see so many people who have problems that it actually does usually work out that way.

JD 1992 :

Best wishes to you on this and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I get credit for my work. The website only gives credit to the expert if you give a Positive Rating.

Customer: thank you. I hate to be. A skeptic. But I will survive.