Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Was released from my job 8/29/13 after 13 years.They gave

Was released from my job 8/29/13 after 13 years.They gave me an agreement to sign giving me 4 weeks pay and 2 days of health insurance. This was done by there lawyers & i am sure it is a basic agreement form but some of the language I don't understand and my main question is if I don't get a job in 4 weeks can i be denied of filing for unemployment. I leave in Maryland. Thank you, W.Cofiell
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you have severance agreement and do not get a job you are still eligible for unemployment benefits. Under MD court case rulings, you are eligible to apply for unemployment now. In Westinghouse Electric Corporation v. Patrick J. Callahan, et al., 105 Md. App. 25, 658 A.2d 1112 (1995), the MD courts held that the claimants were unemployed during the notice period because they did not perform services for the employer and the payments made to the claimants were dismissal payments, not wages. Additionally, the Board held that because the claimants' jobs were abolished, the dismissal payments did not disqualify them from receiving benefits under Section 8-1009. Both the Circuit Court and the Court of Special Appeals affirmed the Board's decision.

Thus, you can apply for unemployment now and any clause in the agreement saying otherwise is invalid under MD law.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.