Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have a workers comp question. Last Oct 31st 2012, I was

I have a worker's comp question. Last Oct 31st 2012, I was injured at work as I was leaving. I reported the incident the next day. I continued to work my scheduled hours until Sept 7th. At this point I lost some use in my arms and fingers from the injury. Long story short, the claim was found compensable. I missed over 3 months. I have a notebook full of documented phone calls made, Dr. appts. treatments, etc. I must have made 30 calls to my HR dept. and received 2 or 3 in return. To this day, no one in HR has ever told me what to do concerning all this. I would like to note that I did not receive ANY compensation and begged my physician to release me to go back to work before I was ready. The day I came back to work the CEO called me into his office and stated their would be a check on my doorstep for the time I was gone when I got home. It was there and covered the time off. I have since had additional treatments and Dr visits that have been paid by Worker's Comp but no one in HR has spoken to me about this situation other than to ask how I am feeling. I would like some specific guidelines as to what to ask HR as I am pretty much demanding a meeting asap. The company has never told me if there is anything else I should be doing, etc. How long will this injury continue to qualify if additional treatments are needed? Do I have to sign off on any paper work? Thank you for understanding my concern.

I would like to add that I was never sent or referred to any Work Comp clinic for any type of anything. I work in Illinois and understand that I get to chose my Dr. but I find it odd that the company pretty much ignores the whole thing. The treatments and therapy I did receive made things worse so I found alternative supplements to help with pain and inflammation. I purchase these myself. None of the conventional treatments worked. Maybe the company is waiting for a timeline to pass that I am unaware of and they can state I no longer have an open case.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Response 1: You need to read the handbook on Worker's Compensation basics in Illinois. This handbook is about 24 pages, but it is very easy to read and understand and it should answer most of your questions and also help you to formulate questions for your employer. Generally, if you are still suffering the effects of your work-related injury, you should be covered by Worker's Compensation. For the handbook, click here

You may also take a look at FAQ on Worker's Compensation in Illinois. For FAQ, click here.

Response 2: If you have concerns, you need to contact Worker's Compensation Commission. To contact the Worker's Compensation, see below:

"Questions relating to general procedures or case status should be directed to the Public Information Unit (312/814-6611; toll-free within Illinois 866/352-3033)."